Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update...

OK, so a little behind. After the Vikings fiasco that (unfortunately) may carry into the playoffs against the Cowboys this week, Tally did a "sprint" triathlon in Hemet, CA the next weekend and I did just the 5K part because I'm a terrible swimmer (working on it, though). She did very, very well even though she didn't have some fancy bike with a ridiculous aerodynamic helmet. I finally squeaked out a 5K in under 20 minutes (19:59), so we were both happy.

We then headed home for Christmas, which was great, but got very, very cold near the end (low in Fargo was -33 F on New Year's Day). It was nice to fly back into Vegas!

Life is getting a little better for me now that we finally got another Medical Officer in my battalion. I'm actually getting home at a decent time (usually) and getting to exercise more.

On the cooking front, risotto is a new favorite for us. The combination possibilities are endless. The only trouble is that it is quite a bit of work, but it's delicious! One other thing I'll recommend are sweet potatoes. I was never really a big fan, based off of the old sweet potatoes and marshmallows that are often served at Thanksgiving. It was always just too sweet for me. You can simply bake them though (just like a regular potato), but we had mashed last night. Again, just boil them like potatoes, then add some milk, butter, and a little maple syrup (you could probably get away without this, but we tried it; we had some actual maple syrup lying around--not sure if the imitation kind would be as good: I'm really enjoying misusing punctuation and continuing this ridiculous excuse for a sentence) and salt and pepper. You should try it.

Coming up: three-day weekend for MLK day. Going to LA/Santa Monica--hopefully, I'll be able to meet up with Quinn and cheer on the Vikings to victory, not a 47-point loss (holding out hope that the old reverse jinx is on my side there).

1 comment:

Lars said...

Dang, you are fast despite your delectable diet. Hurry up and move back to ND and we will feast.