Sunday, April 17, 2011

Twins Baseball...


Let's talk about the Twins...


They haven't exactly had the best start to their year. Now, they have played most of their games on the road, which I think will always be par for the course early in the season because of the outdoor Target Field (I've decided I don't care because I love Target Field). I'm sure that doesn't help, as they were 53-28 at home last year.


I was a little frustrated the other day when they lost their second game in a row to Tampa Bay and then Mauersie was placed on the 15-day DL for "leg weakness". I guess he had a viral illness, was dehydrated, etc., which happens. But, it was mentioned that this viral syndrome aggravated leg weakness he's been having since offseason arthroscopic surgery. That doesn't sound good to me!!!!! Why does the former AL MVP have ANY level of residual leg weakness?!?!?


So, I popped a little comment onto Facebook. I see my friend Quinn put a post up today, gently reminding me and all the other lamenters that there's a lot of season left. That's true. I certainly wasn't giving up on the whole season, just voicing frustration that we're not hitting well and that our pitching (except Liriano and the closers) have been good, but we've managed to blow about 3 games which we should have one (because of starting pitching), even though the offense was weak.


I was trying to offer an intelligent rebuke, hoping I could find some Elias Sports Bureau stat for "what is the average finishing record for MLB teams that start 4-10"? However, no such luck. I DO think the Twins will turn it around. However, as one of the commenters to Quinn said, "these games still count". I'm sure it doesn't help the Twins' collective confidence being 4-10 and I'm sure it emboldens the teams they are playing against.


This is the best I could find: The Twins record after 14 games each of the last 9 full seasons and whether or not they made the playoffs that year:


2010 10-4 playoffs

2009 7-7 playoffs

2008 5-9 no playoffs

2007 6-8 no playoffs

2006 7-7 playoffs

2005 6-8 no playoffs

2004 9-5 playoffs

2003 8-6 playoffs

2002 9-5 playoffs


So, the worst record in the first 14 games the last 9 years making the playoffs? 7-7.


Things we've got going for us? 1) Betting hitting is sure to come. 2) Home crowds at Target Field, especially into the summer, will help. 3) KC and Cleveland lead the division by 3 full games right now--I don't think that will last.


Things that make me sad: In looking up the above records, I was reminded that we haven't won a playoff series since 2002. Sigh.

No comments: